CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Asiago Bagels

I guess it's kinda ironic that I make my first post in my dessert blog about Bagels. Not even sweet bagels, actually savory cheesy bagels. I made Asiago Cheese bagels this morning, and I had to share them with you.

Many people are rather afraid of using yeast when it comes to cooking, but I'm here to tell you that there's nothing at all to be afraid of.  I personally have never had bread fall flat on me.  I know sooner or later it may happen, but right now, I haven't had any issues with it at all.

It was a long process.  I had to let the sponge rise.  The directions said for 2 hours, but I was too tired to start working on them last night, so I let it rise overnight.

I got up at an ungodly hour this morning and started working on these.  Below is the result of probably 20 minutes of stirring and kneading. 



After all of the kneading was done, I shaped the bagels.  The recipe says it makes 12 bagels, but next time I will make 24 because they were HUGE!


I have always heard that the secret to good bagels were boil them before you actually baked them.  I boiled the bagels 2-3 at a time in boiling water with a tablespoon of baking soda.  I don't know what the baking soda does, but they turned out very tasty, so I'll keep doing it!

Anyways, after boiling the bagels and while they were still hot, I put more Asiago cheese on top of the bagels so they would be even extra cheesier (is that a word?).  Before baking them, they looked like this: 



I could almost eat these without baking them.  I had quite a hard time resisting the urge to at least eat all of the cheese. I figured for my health though it would be best to cook them and to stop nibbling at the cheese.  So here is finished product:

I would post a picture of myself eating one, but before the camera could even load, I had inhaled one.  For the first time, these were not bad.  I would almost dare to say that they beat panera.  Yeah, I said it.

If you are interested in this recipe, I will share.  I found it over at The Brown Eyed Baker's recipe blog.

0 comments: